Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sick but Still Breathin'

After a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday last week, I woke up Monday morning with my throat feeling like it's on fire, a hellish sinus headache, and now I've lost my voice and sound like Kermit the Frog. So I thought, since I can't do anything else, I'll blog.

If you haven't been following my blog, it's been a tough year. My father passed in March, and in June, to pour salt in the wound I got let go of a very promising temp assignment that I thought would become a permanent. It wasn't until the end of August that I got another gig through my staffing agency, and that gig ends December 31st.

But here's the cherry on top people. A few weeks ago I discovered I have a uterine fibroid the size of a grapefruit which has brought serious discomfort and extreme tiredness, among other things. So, along with all this, I wake up from a great week to be sick as a dog. This would be ok if I had sick leave. But I don't, and so I will be losing a substantial amount of money this week from not working. But what can I do? Nothing short of lobbying to change the name of the "common cold" to "common hell." Because that's what I've been in for 4 days. Hell.

But I've decided this: Yeah, I may be unemployed soon, and I may feel (and look) like hell. But what can I do but wait it out? Wait it out and be glad it's not something worse - like strep throat which is what I originally thought I had. So I'm gonna take the advice I once gave to an ex-boyfriend who really had nothing to complain about. "'Be happy you're alive. Some people didn't wake up today."

Since my father's death I really understand the significance of that statement. So even though I'm feeling sick as a dog, can't leave the house, can't do nothing, and have watched too many cable Christmas movies - I'm gonna eat my chicken soup and deal with it. Cause at least I got up this morning. And even though he's not here with me, I know my father would want me to be thankful for that.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

love it! Might be your best one yet!